Thursday, January 31, 2008

Shetland - Part 3

So where was I?

Ah that's right. We were just about to get ourselves ready for Up Helly A. In the town square the Jarl and his squad he erected a large A-frame sandwich board whis had a load of drivel written on it. I tried understand what it was going on about but failed however I did come to the realisation that the names of all the different squads were mentioned throughout the tedious essay.

After leaving that KP and I wandered over to where the Jarl Squad were showing off the galley that they've spent the last year building. I was reasonably impressive but when you consider that they live on Shetland where there is absolutely nothing to do then you have to wonder why, in that time, they hadn't put together something more akin to a working naval battleship or luxury cruise liner. I guess a 20ft wooden viking long boat on wheels was all that was required and as far as those are concerned they'd done a great job.

Then we drank coffee.

Later back at the flat we wrapped up warmly and went out to meet up with some of Matt's Kiwi friends who amusingly pronounce Shetland as "Shitland" - I laughed alot. We had a great view of the 900 or so marching torch bearers as they meandered down the main street pushing the galley. It was then deposited in the middle of the park before finally all 900 flaming torches were chucked onto it setting a whole years worth of work ablaze.

There was a brief firework display and then we all went home and got changed into out threads before going to the TA Hall for the rest of the nights activities. As I mentioned those basically took the form of....

1. Have a drink
2. Do a country dance e.g Strip the Willow
3. A squad comes in a does a skit (or sketch)
4. Go back to 1 and repeat.

We lasted for quite a while although Matt and KP had more in the tanks than I did and by 4am was really concious of the fact that I was going to be flying in a few hours so needed some sleep. Also some girl from Livingston started talking to me for hours and I couldn't get away from her. "Why don't you want to dance?" "My Mum is a psych nurse," "I work in the local bank" "A&E doctors don't know anything about psychiatry!"

Well up yours biatch - I wouldn't come and as you to re-tile my bathroom would I?

Anyway, by 5am I really turned up the moans and eventually the guys agreed to leave. It's a bit of a shame as it had a real Daft Friday feel to it (Google that if you don't know what it is) and by the time we left people were beginning to talk about going to the pub. It would have been a bit of a laugh to go along but I was totally spent.

I got to bed at 7am and then was up at 9:30am packing for the flight. Naomi (one of the Kiwis) somehow had remained sober and was still up (somewhere in Lerwick) and after a hasty phone call from Matt agreed to give us a lift to the airport. It was a bit of a relief to get there on time and after brief and quite poiniant good-byes I was on the plane.

So what did I think of Shetland? Well for all my moaning I had a bloody good time but had KP and Matt not been there then I don't really think that it's a place I would venture to too often. That said, it was awesome to see the guys and Up Helly A was great. The croft we stayed in for the first few nights was also pretty damned good fun but I can see why those two are happy to leave the island for the bright lights of Inverness in a weeks time.

Good luck to them and thanks for having me - Inverness next?

No comments: