Friday, January 25, 2008

Ride the Lightning

Isla is still journeying round the back of beyond and it's been a good few days since I've seen hide or hair of her on the blog. Once must assume that there are factors preventing communication i.e. the jungle drums have broken down in the Cambodian sticks.

On the dark side of the planet things are unchanged - the weather is appauling (can't you hear that howling 60mph madness in the back ground? Press your ear to the screen and I bet you can!). Also the parental units are as best a struggle - actually they aren't that bad but I need my own space and being amidst the house selling rigmarole that's going on is not pleasant. What do they say? Next most stressful thing after bereavement.

On that note (the stress part and hopefully not the bereavement part) I am going to be braving the veritable arctic-monsoon combo weather conditions in a turbo-prop plane as I fly to Shetland today. Unsurprisingly, the rescue to my boredom and insanity has come in form of Matt and KP who are temporarily offering me a safehouse, both from the elements and the parentals, in Lerwick for a few days.

Up Helly Ah begins this week which, for those of you not familiar with the Highlando-Nordic tongue of the locals, refers to the Annual Viking Fire Festival (although I've not yet discovered the literal meaning). Photos will abound provided the plane doesn't do a Oceanic Flight 813. Mind you spending a few months on a desert island might be quite fun as I've packed my pen knife and a torch. All I need now is something more substantial to fight of the "Others" with.

So, KP and Matt, I can't wait. 6 hours and counting.

No comments: