Monday, March 3, 2008

Home brewed wine

So I've started trying to ferment my own wine. I bought one of those homw starter kit last week and mixed everything up in a big (sterilised) tub, stuck the one-way valve on, and let those busy yeast get to work.

I've been meaning to try it for ages and the kits are really straight forward. The only thing that I can't help feeling is that I'm being ripped off. It cost £25 and that should make about 6 bottles of wine (Cab Sauv in this case) but really all you are paying for is the grape concentrate, a few additives and some buckets and tubing. Of course, you get to reuse the equipment and further batches should be a lot cheaper but £4 per bottle isn't all that cheap especially if it tastes like complete crap.

I think what I'll do is by the additives in bulk and then just stick any old fruit juice in there and see what happens. That might, however, put an end to my wine career and my liver. We'll see what this lot tastes like.

No comments: